Body of Dust

Searching and learning; a disciple of God. A journal focused on my spiritual growth and my relationship with God. I update as often as I feel reasonable, and feel comfortable sharing these experiences.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fort Myers, Florida, United States

I'm 20yrs old living in Southwest Florida and attending Florida Gulf Coast Univ for my second year.

Saturday, November 12, 2005

Been a Month, in Need of Update

Lately, I'd say the past two weeks can be summarized as a rollercoaster, in ups and downs, and some unnecessary twists and turns.

I am currently involved in a Contemporary World Religions course at FGCU, the school I attend. I find this course and it's lessons so intriguing and I'm interested in the material. One of the sections probably threw me off my balance, and led me into a spiritual test, and it involves the Asian beliefs of Taoism.

Now, I don't feel that I am in any position to teach the beliefs and positions of Taoism, but I'll explain what I think is important to me:

A) There are no absolutes in Taoism, no ultimate good or bad, it's all blended in. This idea is summarized with the common symbol of the yin-yang. I felt I understood it more with a story: A man owns a ranch, and one day his last horse had ran away into the forest. His neighbor, feeling sorry for the man, paid a visit and mourned for his loss. But the rancher only said, "We don't know what is bad." The next day the horse returned, with seven more horses from the forest, making his ranch stronger than ever! His neighbor again paid a visit and congratulated him, but the rancher said, "We don't know what is good." The next day, the ranchers son was playing with the horses, and rode one of the new ones from the forest. But he was kicked off, and he fell to the ground, breaking both of his legs. The ranchers neighbor came to mourn again, but the rancher again said, "We don't know what is bad." The next day, the army was going to war, and came to the rancher's home to take his son, but they couldn't because of his injuries. So, the son was able to stay home, with his family. -- Kind of a long story, but I felt it was the best summarization I could find. BTW: they have no concept of 'sin'.

B) The Taoist do not 'label' such great, mystical things, like God or Heaven. They feel that to give these things names, that they lose them. I can't really explain this, but this is what I was told.

In hearing these lessons, I was brought to question things about Christianity, mostly concerning the absolutism idea. Also, why there are so many different religions on the Earth, when Christianity claims that there is one true God, one true faith. While discussing with friends, I was led to a theory. In short: there are two absolute forces, one of good and one of evil. They go by many names, and are seen in many ways, but they are all the same two forces none-the-less. In creating these different religions and ideas, they had formed different ways that allows the world (and it's amazingly different people) to find them, somehow. After realizing this, I felt a very mystical paranoia, typing it, sitting in my chair. And I dropped it from then on, closing Pandora's box.

In the following days, I had talked about this theory with friends, and one had begun testing it, in the best way it could be done, in friendship and care. In doing so, I realized I was looking for answers in all of the wrong places, that I shouldn't be looking outside of the faith so much, in search for these answers. I should focus more on what I am so involved with, spiritually. So, I've begun a hardy prayer and study session, focusing on these questions of mine. I'm 'wrestling' with God.

Thanks Mark.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the admin of this web site is genuinely working hard in favor of his site, as here every information is quality based data.


Here is my web page :: click here
my web site > visit website

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home